Our long-time guest Frederike gives a complete review of her stay at the Las Plumerias Surf Lodge in Popoyo Nicaragua.
Okay! Here we go. Let’s cover the basics, where are you from?
- I am from France but I live in New York since 2014 after spending 5 years in Australia
And when did your relationship with surfing begin? What gets you the most stoked?
- 2007 and 2008 I did a couple of surfcamps in Morocco and Portugal but then didn’t really stick to it despite moving to Australia (Instead, I learned to play Rugby). In 2015, I decided to get back into it more seriously and since then, I have been going on surftrips several times a year and want to get somewhat good at it so that I can travel to more places and enjoy more challenging surf spots.
Nicaragua & the surf lodge
When did you first start coming to Las Plumerias? How many times have you been here now?
- My first time was March 2016 and I have been 10 times to Las Plumerias ! Next trip is already booked.
So what do you love about Nicaragua?
- I love the empty waves, the variety of surf breaks, the consistency of swell and the kindness of people
And what keeps you coming back to Plume?
- The dogs ! 🙂 … More seriously, I have been to many different surf camps or surf lodges over the past 5 years and Las Plumerias has been the place I surf the most with 2-3 sessions a day. Most other guests are like-minded and surfing is the priority. Las Plumerias’ team makes you feel like family. I always call it “home away from home”.
Love it. What are you up to the rest of the year when you’re not here at Las Plumerias?
- I try to surf in NYC when its not too cold, too windy. Otherwise, I climb a lot which seems to be a good sport to help with surf fitness.
At this point you’ve probably tried out a handful of our boards at the surf lodge… which one is your favorite?
- I usually bring my boards but otherwise I like the Hyptokrypto 6’0 and the Bear surfboard
Awesome! And say you’ve got a couple hours of rest between a surf session, how do you pass your time back at the camp?
- I sleep or I rest 🙂
Your favorite Plume dish?
- Homemade Lasagne, it has been there since the beginning and is so yummy after a day of surfing
That’s a good one. Okay, last one. Tona, Victoria or uno chupito?