Latest travel requirements.
Want to come for a surf trip, but wondering what the exact requirements are? No worries, we’ve summarized below everything you need to know about getting to Nicaragua.
Travel directly to Nicaragua
Currently, only a few airlines fly into Managua: Avianca, Copa Airlines, and Aeromexico. The main requirement to enter Nicaragua is a negative PCR test of less than 72 hours old. If you land in Managua you will need to:
- Send your PCR test results to the airline no less than 36 hours prior to arrival. So if you land at 3 PM on a Thursday, you need to test no sooner than 3 PM on Monday and have your results before 3 AM on Wednesday.
- Fill out an arrival form within one week to 48h before arrival https://solicitudes.migob.gob.ni/
- Get in touch with your airline as soon as you have your flight tickets, so they can tell you how to send all the info.
- Pay $10 at the airport, in cash, for your visa.
Get in via Costa Rica
Flying in to Costa Rica is also an option, and not a bad one! Of course, you still need your negative PCR test, no older than 72 hours, to enter Nicaragua. The requirements for Costa Rica are:
- Fill out a pase de salud at https://salud.go.cr/
- Proof of vaccination against COVID-19 (2 doses only)
- If unvaccinated, proof of health insurance that covers the COVID-19 risk, for a minimum of 5 days after your arrival.
- A return ticket out of Costa Rica
Once you get to the Nicaragua border in Peñas Blancas, you will only need:
- Your negative PCR test result, no older than 72 hours
- $12 in cash for your visa.
The biggest advantage to using Liberia as your gateway to Nica is the testing possibility upon departure. Liberia airport proposes both Antigen and PCR tests, that you can prebook and prepay, to ensure a smooth departure. Nicaragua, on the other hand, only has one testing facility in Managua. Tests are possible in the mornings only (from 8 to 11 am), with results available from 3 pm the same day.
Whatever your itinerary, we will ensure there’s a driver waiting for you at every stage!